How to Choose the Right Hydraulic Cylinder
You know you need a different or new hydraulic cylinder. But where do you begin? Choosing the right hydraulic cylinder requires knowing what type of cylinder is best suited for your application requirements. It also requires understanding the size and operating factors necessary for optimal performance.
Choose the Right Hydraulic Cylinder that Meets Your Needs
Determining the right cylinder for your application requires knowing the day-to-day requirements of the applications where your hydraulic cylinder will be working. The right hydraulic cylinder manufacturer should be able to meet your application requirements, whether you choose a stock cylinder or a custom cylinder.
Common hydraulic cylinder types include tie-rod, welded rod, and telescopic hydraulic cylinders. Regardless of cylinder type, hydraulic cylinders are used across a wide range of industries including construction equipment, manufacturing applications, and other heavy machinery.
• Ideal for heavy-duty industrial manufacturing applications such as automotive or machine manufacturing applications
• Better for applications that require space for installation
• Often used for low pressure applications
• Ideal for medium to heavy-duty hydraulic applications, including mobile hydraulics due to its light/compact design
• Used for low profile, high pressure applications
o Also used for applications with limited space
• Manufactured in single-acting or double-acting options
• Ideal for installation where space is an issue or limited
• Often used in mobile or industrial hydraulic systems like dump trucks, garbage trucks, or roll-off/roll-on trucks
Size and Operating Considerations for Cylinder Selection
When selecting the right hydraulic cylinder, it is important to consider the size requirements for your applications as well as operating factors.
Physics, geometry, gravity. While they might seem unimportant for hydraulic cylinder selection, external force and load lifting remain an integral part of the hydraulic system.
• Knowing the mass that the cylinder must move makes it easier to determine which hydraulic cylinder is best for your needs. Proper bore size and rod size can ensure your hydraulic cylinder performs optimally.
Cylinder Stroke Length
Ensure your loads can be moved efficiently with the correct stroke length for your application. Cushions and mechanical stops can help alleviate stroke issues associated with impact loads bottoming out.
Commonly hydraulic cylinder mount options include:
• Side mounts
• Flange mounts
• Centerline mounts
• Pivot mounts
The application is not the only factor to consider when choosing a hydraulic cylinder. Environmental conditions where the cylinder will operate matter as well. Corrosion resistance and low or high temperatures are factors to consider when choosing a hydraulic cylinder. Hydraulic seals must be able to withstand the temperature changes or harsh environment where the hydraulic system will be used.
Choose the Best Cylinder Manufacturer for Your Hydraulic Machinery
Now that you know the elements to consider for hydraulic cylinders, choose a hydraulic cylinder manufacturer who understands what you need.
Hydraulic Cylinders Inc. can manufacture the tie-rod, welded, or telescopic hydraulic cylinder that meet your application requirements and exceeds your performance expectations. Our hydraulic cylinders are made in the USA and built to last.