Installation of Hydraulic Cylinder Seals
Hydraulic cylinder seals are designed to keep contaminations from entering a hydraulic cylinder and stop hydraulic fluid from leaking. Many hydraulic cylinder seal configurations are available, including piston seals, rod seals, v-ring seals, and many others. Each seal is located at various points throughout the cylinder and serves specific functions. No matter their intended purpose, hydraulic cylinder seals will degrade over time due to the high demands placed on cylinders. If you notice visibly worn seals, faulty cylinder operations, or fluid leakage, it may be time to install new hydraulic cylinder seals.
Preparing for Your Hydraulic Cylinder Seal Installation
Once you have established that you need to replace your hydraulic cylinder seals through a comprehensive cylinder inspection, there are a few steps to take before beginning installation:
- Establish an orderly area for hydraulic cylinder maintenance, making sure all hydraulic cylinder seal installation tools are clean and ready for use.
- Ensure all components interacting with the new hydraulic cylinder seal have been cleaned, dried, and inspected for cuts or other flaws. All edges of the housing or lead-in chamfers should be rounded and burr-free.
- Clean and inspect all tools and component parts within your hydraulic cylinder seal kit to check for cracks, abrasions, or other damage.
Precise cylinder seal installation steps may vary depending on your equipment, hydraulic cylinder seal kit, or other factors. Always consult your equipment manual before beginning any hydraulic maintenance process.
How to Install a Hydraulic Cylinder Seal
Incorrect seal installation can lead to early failure of your seals, introduce contamination to your hydraulic fluid, or cause critical equipment shutdowns. Following proper hydraulic cylinder seal installation protocols will help you avoid costly failures.
- Prepare your work area, hydraulic cylinder seal kit, and necessary installation tools.
- Remove the worn, damaged, or old seal from your hydraulic cylinder. You may require the use of a seal pick or other tool.
- Slide the new hydraulic cylinder seal over the necessary components to sit within a cut groove. You may need to oil your seal to ease this process. Gently but firmly press the seal to confirm it is completely seated within the groove.
- Install all necessary fittings and back up seals, keeping pressure toward the replacement hydraulic cylinder seal. Wipe away any excess oil or debris left behind by the old seal.
- Clean your hydraulic cylinder and check to make sure that the new seal is still intact. Test that your cylinder is functioning before installing it back to its usual location.
High-Performing Hydraulic Cylinder Seal Kits and Installation Tools
Hydraulic cylinder seal kits are available for most hydraulic cylinders and will contain all necessary seal components to repair or rebuild your hydraulic cylinder. Hydraulic Cylinders, Inc. provides high-performing aftermarket seal kits for equipment made by leading OEMs such as Bobcat and Kubota. If you aren’t sure which hydraulic cylinder seal kit matches your installation needs, let us know. We are committed to providing quality how-to knowledge, unparalleled resources, and built-to-last products to meet any requirement.